Do not use Superglue Gel on Knots.
r***@hotmail.com
2009-09-22 10:33:07 UTC
I made a discovery last night. I had just finished up a good looking
sailors blackjack and usually I put a couple of drops of superglue in
spots to lock in the last turkshead. I picked up a tube of what I
thought was regular superglue and proceeded to apply it. It came out
thick and did not soak in right away like I was used to that was when
I noticed the word "gel" on the label. I tried to smooth it in since
there was no way to get it off but it did not work. So a few weeks of
work were pretty much lost, but I'll try and put another turkshead
over it to cover it up. But my advice to you is to stay away from the
superglue gel.

Marty
Earl J
Marty
MtnTraveler
2009-09-24 09:50:32 UTC
Post by Earl J
Thanks, Marty. Good tip.
Post by r***@hotmail.com
I made a discovery last night. I had just finished up a good looking
sailors blackjack and usually I put a couple of drops of superglue in
spots to lock in the last turkshead. I picked up a tube of what I
thought was regular superglue and proceeded to apply it. It came out
thick and did not soak in right away like I was used to that was when
I noticed the word "gel" on the label. I tried to smooth it in since
there was no way to get it off but it did not work. So a few weeks of
work were pretty much lost, but I'll try and put another turkshead
over it to cover it up. But my advice to you is to stay away from the
superglue gel.
Marty
I've always used white glue (Elmer's, carpenter's, paper glue, etc.,) on
knots and lines. Works great on cotton ropes and nylon, doesn't dry
rock hard, but does a good job of securing ends. Especially good for
whipping the end of cotton line without any extra bulk. I got the idea
from a magician's video on rope magic, prepping 'magic rope' for stage
use. I wouldn't rely on it for any strength needs, but for decorative
finishing it's great!
g***@ix.netcom.com
2009-12-27 20:12:28 UTC
Post by r***@hotmail.com
I tried to smooth it in since
there was no way to get it off but it did not work. So a few weeks of
work were pretty much lost, but I'll try and put another turkshead
over it to cover it up. But my advice to you is to stay away from the
superglue gel.
I haven't been here for a while although I was here for the formation of
the group.
I have developed an annoying quadriplegia which limits my knot tying.

For future reference - use acetone to remove super glue . fingernail
polish remover contains acetone.